Tuesday, May 14, 2013

This will save you TIME and MONEY!

If you read my last post then you already know this but just to reiterate how important this information is I wanted to talk about it in a second post. My MCR-46Y Roketa Scooter was bought brand new I rode it winter and spring through snow, rain and many sunny days.  Two different things have killed my scooter and you need to check both!  The easy one is if you lose total electrical functions on your Roketa scooter check the fuse first!  Even if it looks fine and tests fine with a volt meeter replace it FIRST.  This information would have saved me tons of frustration and time and money not to mention my scooter being laid to rest for two months in my garage!  Once the fuse was replaced the scooter ran fine once again.

But as I began approaching two thousand miles on the scooter the bike became harder and harder to start!  I would crank it over and over and finally it would hit and run fine then I'd turn if off and back on and it would fire right up as long as the engine was HOT.  A COLD engine would take forever to start and have me wondering if the battery would die before it was going to fire up.  The fix was a valve adjustment!  It is simple and cost close to nothing to have performed if you don't do it yourself which would be free!  Next I will post the entire process in this blog.  But if you don't buy a new scooter and you find on online or in the paper that someone else is having problems with then buy it on the cheap and have the valves adjusted it will run honestly better than new!



This guide will take you through the procedure for adjusting the valves on a GY6 125 or 150cc engine.

Tools you will need:
- Socket wrench with metric sockets in sizes from 8mm to 12mm (Box wrenches will work too).
- Crescent wrench
- Feeler gauges with sizes from 0.003" to 0.007"
- Torque wrench (optional)


1. Remove passenger seat


 2. Remove the 4 bolts holding the valve cover to the top of the engine. (A 2-bolt valve cover was used in the photo - yours will likely have 4 bolts around the outer edge)


3, Remove the valve cover to expose the camshaft and rocker arm assembly. Rotate the camshaft until the big hole in the sprocket end points straight out of the top of the engine and the two smaller holes are lined up with the flat plane of the cylinder head. (Your camshaft may have lines instead of smaller holes, but they need to line up the same way). You can do this by rotating the variator in the CVT transmission counter clockwise by hand until the holes line up properly.


4. Use a wrench to loosed the retainer nut on the intake (top) valve.


5. Using a feeler gauge (Harbor Freight sells a good set for $3), measure the gap between the top of the valve and the tappet of the rocker arm. Turn the tappet in or out as necessary to adjust. You want to set your valve clearances to 0.004" - 0.005" on both the intake and exhaust valves.
Note: For high performance cylinder heads such as the Endrigo Cylinder Head, you may be able to go up to 0.006" on the valve clearance.


6. Repeat Step 5 for the exhaust (lower) valve.

7. Tighten down the retainer nuts and re-check clearances (they sometimes tighten up a bit when you tighten the retainer.)

8. Replace the valve cover. Torque spec for the cover bolts is 6-9ft/lbs (72-108 in/lbs).

9. Replace the passenger seat, and you're good to go!
This process was copied from Buggy Parts NW
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I have this scooter and love it! Yesterday, I noticed the daytime running lights, dash lights and back light are not working. Turn signs, brake light and high beams all work. I think I need to change the fuse. Where is the fuse box? Might be a dumb question but it's my first scooter. I I know there is the fuse connected to the battery but is is there a fuse box.?? Thank u so much for for this blog

    ReplyDelete