Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Well I finally got my mini orchard complete now onto the gardon!



So I'm sorta covered in poison ivy!  I've been clearing out a fence row behind my house and it is finally as of today complete.  I left the wild blackberries of course but chopped down more vines of poison ivy then I think I have ever seen and I grew up on a farm!  I'm not even kidding this fence row was covered in poison ivy and multiflora rose bushes!  So welding my freshly sharpened axe I began the pain staking job of cutting out all of the unwanted weeds so that the wild blackberries can really take off as well as some blueberry bushes I have planted.  I call this agro engineering on a small scale.  I'm taking my half acre lot and planting fruit bearing trees as well as putting things like blueberry and blackberry bushes in the fence row.  Next I'll start my garden and accompanied by the wild plants I already consume sometime in the near future I should be able to supply my own food for a much larger part of the year.  I know most of it I can sometimes buy cheaper but then I don't know where it came from or what was done to it as in pesticides and fertilizers.

I enjoy working for my food it makes me appreciate it so much more when I eat it.  Also I am burning calories while I grow and prepare it for consumption.  Once the trees really begin to bear lots of fruit; I have planted mulberry trees, apple trees, peach trees, pear trees, and paw paw trees, I will learn the art of canning.  Canning the extra fruit should allow me to continue eating my own health foods all winter if I please!
 Like I said in an earlier post I am really getting into this living off of the land idea.  And I like the art of mini farming, as in take a small partial of land like half and acre and turn part of your yard grass into something more meaningful then just more grass to mow.  I fully understand that someday pruning and caring for these trees will be work but the reward will be healthy tasty fruit grown for free right out my own back door!  I am taking a concept once practiced by everyone now seldom seen at least in my neighborhood and reinventing it!

Happy Scooting it's been raining here lately so I've been confined to my car!  Errr but the rain is helping my "crops" so I'll take it.

Peace to you this evening

Roketa Scooter Man

No comments:

Post a Comment